Monday, June 05, 2006

It Can't Possibly Get Worse!

So... I'm sitting in my hotel room thinking about the past week. I've had a chance to lazily sit under the sun, view a dormant volcano, walk through a valley rain forest, relax in a peaceful stream and meet some interesting people. Basically, I've been living a dream-at least for the last week. But, all of this pales in comparison to the reality that exist in the American made war in Iraq.

Today, I finally decided to check out some international news and found a doozy that provides some perspective. Today, 56 Iraqis where kidnapped in Baghdad in one incredibly bold move- a move that is indicative of how bad it really is in Iraq.

The gunmen seized workers from several bus companies that offer transport to Syria and Jordan, witnesses and police said. Others of those taken were passengers aboard the buses: Syrian businessmen going home, a handful of Palestinians, Iraqis. Many Iraqis are leaving their own country precisely because it is the sort of place where a trip to the bus stop can end with being led away at gunpoint.


What a mess we've made.

Hattip: AmericaBlog

1 Comments:

Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

Yeah, it's a mess, and there is no way a good ending can come out of it. The U.S. is going to get its arse kicked like it did in Vietnam. And unlike the Vietnamese and Cambodians, who turned on each other and didn't come after the U.S., the forces over there are not going to confine themselves to the Middle East. They're going to stage terrorist attacks all over the world, destabilise Saudi Arabia and wreck the world's oil-based economy, yadda yadda yadda. I'm a middle-aged American citizen who emigrated to Australia last December because my wife and I could no longer consider ourselves moral human beings as long as we were paying taxes into the war machine. (Lucky for me I'm a registered nurse, so I could get a work visa.) Life isn't perfect here, but I feel so much cleaner to not be supporting the madness. And Oz will probably escape the payback that's coming to the U.S. Reap what you sow, even though it's also going to apply to people who didn't support President Cheney's plans. (You know he's the REAL power...)

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home